Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Inescapable Love of God

I have finished reading Thomas Talbott's "The Inescapable Love of God." Talbott is a believer in universal reconciliation (UR). In other words, he believes that eventually every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord and will be reconciled to their Creator. I read this book b/c I like to be challenged by authors who view things differently than I do. Frankly, I hope Talbott is right, but I'm not convinced. That being said, I was impressed with the book.

This book is not a text book for this view. Part I is auto-biographical. Part II is exegesis of some relevant NT passages. Part III is uses philosophical/logical argumentation. Talbott started his journey toward belief in UR when he realized that major systems of theology often neglected to take the phrase "God is love" seriously (or, in some cases, to deal with it at all). He presented various Scriptures that seem to paint a UR picture, but have been ignored by many theologians.

The book got me to think, and that's always good. I recommend it.

No comments: