Wednesday, January 03, 2007

"In Stature"

Jesus grew in stature. Literally, this simply means he got taller. It's the same word that caused problems for Zaccheus. It implies that our Savior became physically mature. It speaks to the issue of having a healthy lifestyle that creates an environment for natural growth. If I want to be like Jesus, I should strive to be a healthy person in the physical realm. How am I doing?

In 2006 I saw vast improvements in this area of my life. Previously, I wasn't involved in any routine exercise. But in the past year I purchased and utilized a bike for the first time in a long while. Additionally, in the past few months I've been playing basketball every Wednesday Night. Now, there is no observable difference in my physique, but I can tell this has made a drastic change in my level of health. I no longer get tired quickly.

So, exercise-wise, I am feeling pretty good. But there's more to the physical realm than that. How can I best prepare my body for service to my king? As much as I hate to say it, 2 things probably need to be adjusted in my life if I'm going to follow Jesus' lead: 1) I'll need to eat healthier and 2) I'll need to wake up earlier. I like to keep things simple and attainable. My goal is to stop eating after 10pm and to wake up before 10am. Shamefully, this demands a drastic change in my life. I'll see how I do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, just a thought...maybe when you stop eating earlier, you'll wake up earlier because your stomach will start to growl.

Jan said...

and...if you wake up earlier, I'll be able to share my morning chores with you, thus, you'll be burning calories and fat and building muscles! Can you go to the shed in the a.m. and bring in the tote with my coats in it?

matthew said...

haha, yep michelle, i think these 2 resolutions will go hand in hand.

as for this 'jan' person. I don't know who you are. please stop leaving orders.