Tuesday, January 02, 2007

"In Wisdom"

What was Jesus doing when he was 25 like me? For one, he was growing in wisdom. How can I grow in wisdom in 2007? First, I think I have to understand the difference between 3 terms: Information, Knowledge & Wisdom. For example, I have information if I read a story, knowledge if I understand what truth the story teaches, and wisdom if I live the truth of that story.

Usually, so called 'Wisdom' type resolutions are commitments to read 50 books, learn to play the piano, or speak Chinese. Such resolutions are usually only about information and/or knowledge. Gaining information is like getting a whole bunch of money handed to you throughout the year. Knowledge is like organizing them into denominations. Without wisdom, what good does it do us? We just get tired from carrying around so much purchasing power. Proverbs 17:16 asks, "Why is there in the hand of a fool the purchase price of wisdom, Since he has no heart for it?" Wisdom is using that money for good and godly purposes.

My goal is to move from information to knowledge to wisdom. Wisdom is the principal thing. My 'wisdom' resolution is not a commitment to read 50 books, play the piano or speak fluent Chinese. Instead, my goal is be changed whenever I read, be able to worship through music, and be able to build relationships with Chinese people in their own language. The results of such a goal aren't easy to chart and so, since I love charts and statistics, this realization isn't easy for me. But it's an important realization nonetheless. My hope is to play my part in the story of 2007 without having to constantly look back and say, "I wish I would have handled that differently."

No comments: