Sunday, January 14, 2007

Connections

Virginia was one of my favorite routine "pastoral visits." Despite being in her 80's, she maintained a sharp wit. In fact, she was one of the few people I've known who was able to blend kindness and bluntness into 1 pleasing personality. Each Wednesday I would visit her at the nursing home. Toward the end of her life on earth, she was often too tired to be talkative and so I ended up talking to her room-mate.

Nancy liked to keep care of Virginia. She always updated me on how Virginia had been feeling so far that week. When Virginia went home to be with the Lord, it would have seemed odd to not see Nancy each week. And so I continued to visit, but I never knew these visits were so meaningful to her until she wept best wishes to me on Christmas Eve. Nancy is also pretty social. She likes to sit in the hallway and shoot the breeze with her fellow residents. She's in the 'hip' crowd at the nursing home (and I don't mean those without broken hips). One day Nancy wasn't in her room, so I found her in the cafeteria talking to Doug.

Doug is the President of the nursing home residents. Nancy introduced us and from that day on whenever I saw Doug in the hallway, I'd stop and chat for a bit. A couple of weeks ago Doug told me that he had organized a Saturday Night Bible study. He asked if I wanted to come some week and I said I'd keep it in mind. Yesterday, I decided to stop in. As I walked down the hall I saw Doug in the distance looking a little nervous. When I finally reached him he said His brother who usually leads the Bible-study hadn't shown up and he was glad to see me. He led me into the small cafateria where 15 or so people were ready to hear from God's Word. After an hour of Discussion on Luke 2:52, I was introduced to a man named Nick.

To be continued...because God is a God of providence.

5 comments:

Sarah Gomez said...

i like this story

Jo said...

yes, keep it coming, you cliffhanger, you. jeez. way to play on my emotions. i already have a soft spot for older folks.

matthew said...

Every moment is a cliffhanger :)

Jo said...

huh?

matthew said...

there's no end to the story. the last part just happened this weekend :)