Saturday, December 30, 2006

Knew Awards 06

Best Book

I loved reading the Apostolic Fathers, edited by Michael Holmes. In fact, for me, 2006 was the year of church history. I really enjoyed reading Clement, Polycarp, Ignatius, the Didache, Barnabas, the Shepherd of Hermas, the letter to Diognetus & Papias. I also read Eusebius & Josephus. I look forward to more church history reading in 2007.

Best TV Show

This is really tough. There are numerous candidates. The only ongoing shows that I watch every episode of are Lost & Gilmore Girls. But I am still undecided on how much I like Lost and this hasn't been a great (or even good) season of Gilmore Girls. As far as re-runs go, I've been watching Newsradio a bit. Some Andy Richter controls the Universe. Hmm. This really is tough. The award goes to... Seinfeld reruns.

Best Sport/Team

For me, it's always been a battle between football and hockey. But since the lockout ended, hockey has rocked (I'll admit, it may have something to do with the Sabres being awesome and the Bills being very average). But I absolutely love Hockey. Obviously, my favorite team for 2006 was the Buffalo Sabres. They were the best team in the NHL last season and only lost due to injuries. And this year they have a great shot to win the cup.

Most Influential Person

For the 2nd consecutive year, I give this award to Steve Gregg of thenarrowpath.com. I just resonate with his style and am edified by his teaching and testimony. Check him out.

Best Author

This is the first year I was able to really start digging in to NT Wright. I read 4 of his books over the last year or two and found all of them thought provoking.

Favorite Singer/Band

Who did I listen to the most this year? I'm going to have to say it was Iron & Wine. Just ask my sister how many times I was willing to listen to the same song(s) over and over! I don't try a lot of new stuff. Basically, the only people I listend to this year were The Waiting, Caedmon's Call, Derek Webb, Iron & Wine & Weird Al.

Favorite New Hobby

Alright, I really do enjoy riding the bike I bought this year. I'll admit, though, that I'm pretty lazy and didn't ride it as much as I should have. My absolute favorite new hobby is Wednesday Night Basketball. Each Wednesday after prayer meeting I play with 2 friends (teens from our church) and sometimes a 4th. Good exercise. Good fun.

Best BBC Blogger

I like to offend 115 people and give an award to the 1 BBC blog that shined the brightest in 2006. I sorta hate to give the award to the same person as last year, but I feel it is deserved (though I felt like there was greater competition this year!). The award for Best BBC Blog of 2006 goes to Joanna H and her "Taste of Vinegar"

Click HERE for 2005's Knew Awards

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try reading this one.

http://www.truthbeknown.com

Jo said...

derek webb and iron and wine are good choices.

honestly, matthew, i'm flattered about the award but i shouldn't get it again! do you want to give people even more incentive to dislike me?! ;)

matthew said...

anonymous,

haha, not a very creative segue. i'm guessing your from the atheist blog i've been visiting

jo,

do i want to give people more incentive to dislike you? yes.

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt,
It's Coady!
Just to give you an update- my new blog site is www.myspace.com.

Take Care

Anonymous said...

www.myspace.com/coadynickerson

add me to msn too coadytnp@hotmail.com

matthew said...

coady, currently, something strange is happening which places my url before yours, so your link isn't working. but i will remedy that as soon as possible.

thanks for the update

matthew said...

k, i figured it out :)

matthew said...

Kirk, I had to delete your comment b/c your enlongated 'haha' totally ruined my blog :)

HERE is what he said...

"haha(1000x)
Sorry I couldn't get past your comment about the Sabres being the best team last year and losing only because of injuries. You like a team that is full of a bunch of wimps that can't stay healthy. I pity you. My team had a guy come back early from a broken neck (not a wimp) because he wanted to play. Face it your team had no heart or commitment to discipline or else they wouldn't have been so fragile. Best team last year = Carolina Hurricanes (oh yeah and they backed it up by winning the cup)"

matthew said...

and my response is...

it seems to me one of these 2 teams just finished a season SWEEP of the other. Which team would that be?

To some degree, you have a point in that the Sabres are smallish and somewhat fragile. But I think your point is refuted in general when looking at WHO got injured. McKee, Tallinder & Kalinin our our biggest and toughest guys.

In other words, it was just bad luck. And we STILL took you to 7 games AND had the lead in the 3rd period. So your statement that the Sabres have no heart is unfounded :)

I hope we play again in the playoffs this season (if you guys make it) so we can beat you in 4 or 5 games.

We're already the best team in the league. Imagine if we get our best offensive player back! :)

Jo said...

humf.