Friday, May 12, 2006

Providence 2

Yesterday before men's group I was thinking of illustrations of God's providence from my own life. Here are the 3 that came to mind:

1. After I sensed a calling to pastoral ministry, I was looking for a good college fit. I had visited IWU and Houghton, but didn't think I would get a chance to visit BBC. It just so happened, however, that a mime team from my church won the local level of TNT and the final level was being held at Bethany. So I hitched a ride. I think this was God's providence.

2. When I was at BBC, I started a small group aimed at praying for home churches. At that time, my home church had no pastor. The first person that joined the group was Kathy King. Soon after we started praying, my church found and hired a member of the staff from Kathy's church. I think this was God's providence.

3. The week of graduation from Bethany I really had no clue what was coming next in my life. But Kirk Sabin (spelling?), out of the blue it seemed, asked me very seriously what I thought about working in my home church. To be honest, I had never really considered that possibility. A few weeks after returning home, I was offered a job at my church. At Kirk's suggestion I had been thinking about it and was ready to accept the position right away. I think this was God's providence.

Care to share some instances of God's Providence in your life?

2 comments:

matthew said...

1. thanks
2. thanks
3. cool
Soon

JHW said...

Matt,

I was reading "Hudson Taylor and Maria" and thought of you when he listed five Providences that kept him from going blind or dying when he spilt ammonia on his face while trying to dye his hair black to blend in with the natives.

What a tale, China seems like a whole new world (unlike Aladdins arabia), did you find such when you were over there?