Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Looking for Certainty

I, like most people, like certainty. I want to know for sure that I am saved, that I'm doing what God wants me to do, that I'll marry the right person, etc. But I've seen this desire for certainty go awry. For instance, in my observation it is the desire for certainty that keeps many Roman Catholics in the RC Church. They can feel certain that they are in the right institution. When the Pope speaks, they can rest assured that he's speaking truth. Many protestants do the same thing. They find a teacher that they fully trust or, perhaps, a particular version of the Bible that they just know is the true word of God.

Complete trust should never be placed in anything or anyone but God alone. Everything else changes. My level of faith changes. My feelings change. Pope's change. Translations get revised. I pray that, in my natural quest for certainty, I'll never find security in the people or physical props of this world, but only in the invisible God.

1 comment:

matthew said...

it's not blogrollers fault. i told it to hate you