Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Harmonica

I bought 7 harmonicas. I am just assuming that's the plural for harmonica. I can't be sure because I've never spoken about multiple harmon... those things... before. That is why I also bought the Idiot's Guide to Playing the Harmonica. I'll admit 3 things. 1. I don't have any musical ability (apart from my imitative vocal skills*). 2. I actually really enjoy the sound of a harmonica. 3. Playing the harmonica is the closest thing to kissing in my life right now, so I'll take it. 4. Oh wait, I said 3.

*Truth be told, I do not know what my singing voice sounds like. I only imitate what I hear. When I sing a Third Day song, I try my best to sound like Mac Powell. When I sing a Matchbox Twenty Song, I try to sound like Rob Thomas. When I sing a Jesus loves me, I try to sound like me when I was 7. In my opinion, I can do a decent job of imitating the following singers: Randy Travis, Johnny Cash, Jewel, Garth Brooks, Mac Powell, Rob Thomas, Michael W. Smith (maybe not anymore, but as a teen I could sound just like him) and the lead singer of the waiting (brad olsen?). When I sing a song that I didn't hear from someone famous, I just try to sing it with one of the above voices and see how it comes out. I've used this method for 15 years and have honestly no idea what my regular singing voice sounds like.

7 comments:

Sarah Gomez said...

Haha, I can understand buying a harmonica if you'd like to learn. But 7??? Gracious! What if you decide you don't like it!

Or... what if you get a girlfriend??

matthew said...

I already had 1 harmonica and I know I like it. I bought 7 b/c they came as a set and all play in different keys. Since I'm going to become a harmonica expert, I'll need all the keys, eh? And I'll have plenty of time since the last question seems laughable at this point :)

Elliott Innes said...

Hmmm... Harmonica or Girlfriend... Dude, get a My Space account. It would probably be easier, not to mention cheaper, then the harmonicas, harmonicay, oh crap, just find a woman!

Heather Durkee said...

What keys did you buy?? Hopefully you bought useful ones.

Exist-Dissolve said...

When I sing "Jesus Loves Me," I try to sound like Jesus...on the first album...(the second was WAY overproduced).

matthew said...

Elliott- I have a myspace account actually, but i rarely use it.

Heather- I got keys abcdefg. the b has a little mark next to it. i think it means flat, but i'm pretty dumb.

exist-dissolve- ok!

Elliott Innes said...

i think ur greeat. if i had a sister, i'd totally set u up.