Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Doctrinal Purity

Sunday night we finished our 25 week study of the book of Revelation with a question/answer time. Obviously, there were some differences of opinion since we were talking about eschatology. One thing I stressed at the end of the discussion was that none of us has a completely perfect set of doctrinal beliefs.

I had read something helpful sometime earlier from N.T. Wright. He said none of us are morally perfect & none of us are physically perfect SO why should we imagine that we are doctrinally perfect? We shouldn't. Instead, we should hold to the essentials tightly and the non-essentialy loosely.

That doesn't mean non-essentials aren't important. I believe they, sometimes dramatically, affect the way we live our lives. We should always be seeking the truth even when others have concluded such a pursuit for various reasons.

1 comment:

matthew said...

Hey Jeff,

Yeah, there is certainly a ton of different beliefs out there regarding end-times. And I think it's important not to be too dogmatic about eschatology.

I changed my view on eschatology bit by bit in the past few years and its had a positive affect on my general outlook and spiritual walk.

So these things are important, but not worth dividing over.