Thursday, February 03, 2005

Essential Christian Doctrine

What beliefs MUST we believe in order to be considered a Christian?

I've heard many responses to that question, but none better (in my opinion) than the response Steve Gregg (one of my favorite Bible teachers in recent weeks) gave earlier today on his message board. First, he looked at what the Bible says on the issue:

You must believe...
That God Exists
That God rewards those who seek Him
That Jesus has come in the flesh
That Jesus is who He claimed to be
a. The Messiah (1 John 5:1)
b. The Son of God (John 20:31)
c. The Lord (Romans 10:9)
That God raised Jesus from the dead

Probably not as strict as the evangelical church makes it out to be. I think we need to do a better job of realizing that everyone on this earth is at a different place in their relationship with God. I liked something Steve said later on in his reply:

"I think that God will judge people, not on the basis of their understanding, or lack thereof, but on the basis of their willingness to accept what the scripture says, and their not refusing to embrace true doctrine when they see it to be true. Condemnation belongs, not to those who have too little light, but to those who, having seen the light, have loved the darkness, because their deeds are evil (John 3:19)."

I responded to his lengthy reply with the following agreement:

I think it is tempting for Christians to figure out what they already believe and then make those things 'essential.' I think it is also tempting for Christians to think of things in a linear manner...in the sense that once people stumble across a list of 'essential' doctrines they can then make a decision on whether to accept them and become a Christian. I don't view God as so linear or rigid. I believe our hearts are always moving either toward God or away from Him. Christianity is not so much about believing the right things as it is following the right Person.

This is an extreme departure from my thoughts on this subject even a year ago. I believe God is really changing my heart on such matters, making me more like Him.


7 comments:

matthew said...

I agree that, at some level, the need for atonement must be understood...the utter dependance on God for salvation.

But I'm not sure I agree this is missing. I think the atonement is wrapped up in seeing Jesus as the Messiah, Son of God, Lord, and the resurrected one.

I also think their are many theories about how the atonement works, and we need to refrain from thinking any 'one' of them is essential.

Also, I think it helps to think of Abraham. He didn't know anything about Jesus. But, in a sense, he may have understood the atonement better than today's brightest theologians b/c he SAW God provide a sacrifice and save his son's life.

There are many people in our world today who haven't been given much knowledge regarding the work of Jesus Christ on the cross, but they may, perhaps, believe that God will/has provided the necessary sacrifice.

In such a case I don't think their failure to know Jesus died outside Jerusalem 2000 years ago, for them, will keep them out of heaven. Their rejection of a need for a savior, on the other hand, very well could.

Anonymous said...

I like this = 'Condemnation belongs, not to those who have too little light, but to those who, having seen the light, have loved the darkness, because their deeds are evil (John 3:19)'.

But in a sense it also takes away the semi-ability to think for yourself doesn't it? As in given only two choices, go white and you are saved, go black and you are doomed. In pure relation to religion ONLY of course.

Let me know what you think. I'll check back :)

suanie.net

matthew said...

suanie.net,

Thanks for commenting. I believe that with God's Spirit working in the hearts of mankind, people are granted the freedom to choose light or darkness. That sounds simple, but only for the sake of brevity. Choices are complex when we look at them externally. That is why we should not judge others hearts. But I also think every person has a God-given conscience which either accuses or defends their decisions. Romans 2:12-16 seems to speak towards these issues.

I don't know if that comes anywhere near what you were looking for. If not, feel free to re-word your question...I'm a little slow :)

matthew said...

Celine,

I agree with you about one's 'direction' being what is, practically, most imporant. But I believe the Spirit can accomplish a radical victory in our lives and we can live free from voluntary sins.

Good to hear from you again

Nicholas Coates said...

Id have to totally agree and say that its nice to see some other Christians blogging. A lot of people, Christian or non Christian, get bogged down with what beleifs, or even more so, what beliefs do not, make a person a Christian. That title is tossed around so much these days that its hard to nail down a concrete definition. I would say that there is a certain set of beliefs which make you a Christian. Some argue that it doesnt matter that God loves us all and we can believe whatever the heck we want. If we were to follow that line of thought, by allowing all belief systems they'd end up just cancelling each other out. The same goes for 'cut and paste' faiths, those who just take what they like and leave the rest. That doesnt really make any sense. Anyway, Im thankful that God is changing your heart on this topic. He certain has had a go at mine and Im thankful for it because its allowed me to see a whole other side to certain issues. Youre right, its not about the rules as much as it is about the person we follow. Matt 7 has Jesus saying 'I want your mercy, not sacrifices'. Jesus is referencing Haggai (I think) basically saying exactly that, its more about mercy and your heart then it is about a bunch of rules youre supposed to follow. While those rules are important and cannot be cast to the side it is all about the relationship we have with God. For if we have the Spirit in our lives who will let us walk in the path of Christ we will be at the side of the Father in the end. God bless man, keep up the thinking.

http://www.nicholascoates.blogspot.com/

matthew said...

Thanks for the thoughts.

Nice blog.

I see you are from Fredericton, New Brunswick. I went to school in Sussex.

Anonymous said...

Cool blog...very informative...if u requirre info about bible daily devotionals visit
them