Friday, July 29, 2005

Marriage Proposal #4

Marriage, as an institution is in deep trouble. We should take it over.

The state should let go of marriage. It probably shouldn't have gotten involved in the first place. Government should only deal with civil-unions/social-contracts. They can let whoever they want get such a contract: Christians, atheists, heterosexuals, homosexuals, etc. Religions should handle marriage*. Each religion, then, can make their own rules regarding marriage**.

Do you support Marriage Proposal #4?***

Footnotes
*In this scenario, Christians wouldn't even be obligated to get a contract/license. Instead, a 'marriage' would be a spiritual covenant. This would, of course, create certain financial problems since the state has had its hand in marriage so long.
**Indivual religions, denominations, even churches, could set specific policies.

***This is my personal view of what SHOULD be. But I doubt it'll ever happen, so my 'realistic view is option #2. I would also, personally, consider getting married w/o a 'license'

4 comments:

Robin said...

I agree this idea in itself has merit; in fact someone brought it up at Conference here this year: the idea was to hand in our licences to marry and preform marriages that are "under God" not "under the state". But it brought up a whole host of other questions, many of them darn good but hard to answer... so I don't think it'll happen either.

ANYWAY... on a totatlly unrelated note, here's my REAL reason for posting: how did you post to your blog automatically while you were in China? I'd like to set up the new SMDC to do that... I'm using Blogger for it.

Can you email me?

Heather Durkee said...

I think this proposal is wishful thinking also. But I do think that the state/country/whoever should not have their hands in it. I am not so sure why Canada was so quick to pass gay marriage rights. But I guess they had their reasons.

matthew said...

Yes, John Symonds told me today (at OUR district conference) that this issue came up in yours.

I think the key difference b/w my view and the idea mentioned at your conference is that I include the state letting go of marriage while the person at your meeting invisioned to different institutions of marriage altogether.

Either way...I agree that it'll never happen.

I have bad news regarding my blog-abilities. I just had my brother sign-in and publish some pre-typed blogs while I was gone.

I am unaware of an automatic publish program. You can change the date of the post, but I don't think you can publish automatically.

matthew said...

heather...

yep, marriage is a very tainted institution. It seems at this point in history, it is beyond general redemption.

Perhaps the only & best thing we can do, is redeem marriage in our own specific cases.