Thursday, July 28, 2005

Marriage Proposal #3

Marriage, as an institution, is in deep trouble. We should get out of the business.

Pastors should simply stop performing weddings*. Let the state take complete control of the institution**. It'll even be good for the economy b/c businesses will have to build facilities and couples won't get any more of those cheap (in some cases) church weddings. Pastors can still preach and teach about Biblical marriage/divorce issues***. Churches can still offer counsel to those struggling with their marriage. They just won't perform weddings anymore.

Do you support Marriage Proposal #3?

Footnotes
*In this scenario, pastors wouldn't have to struggle with the ethical dilemna of performing a wedding for: Non-Christians couples, couples of mixed religions, homosexual couples, unrepetant common law couples, etc. No one could get mad that their pastor rejected them specifically b/c their pastor said no to EVERYONE.
**After all, in some cases it seems they have complete control already/anyways.
***They'll even have more TIME to think about such things...having summer Saturday's off for a change

2 comments:

Heather Durkee said...

unrelated to the marriage dilemma, but another "knew" blog! Wow, you are going to have 3 which is insane. But I can see why you have them.

I am not sure that churches & should have nothing to do marriage. I think it might come to that but I think if we want to give marriage the focus Christ had on it, that it would be helpful to keep it in the church. If it went to the state, there would probably not be any pre-marital sessions, most things would be a free for all, and maybe you would see the divorce rate go up. But many pastors say they will refuse to marry those who are gay so they might forfit to marry everyone in order to not marry those they don't approve of.

matthew said...

Haha...Heather, how did you find my knewest blog? I put the link at the bottom just for my own benefit! I didn't think anyone would actually down there.

The Knew Kingdom has a 3-fold purpose:

1. I do a lot of message board debate & this will allow me to save time by copying and pasting my arguments instead of having to re-type them everyday

2. It will serve as an online backup for my bible studies, sermons, etc.

3. It is an easily-edited storage space for information. If I learn something new about a chapter in the Bible, I'll be able to add it to everything I'd already learned w/o letting good stuff slip from my memory.

In regards to your comments on marriage, I agree. This isn't my favorite option either (#4 will be, go figure!). We need to be involved as the body of Christ. If #4 isn't possible, I think #2 becomes our best choice.