Saturday, May 21, 2005

What is TV Telling Us 2

A while ago I investigated the message TV has for us. Well, to end this 'filler' series on Network TV, I gave each major network a chance to share its message in 1-2 sentences (the first full sentence I hear after turning to their channel)

NBC really did preach! It was one of those heart-warming commercials about being a better person. The message, "Everyone loves a good laugh, but if it’s at someone else’s expense, there’s nothing funny about it." If they think people are laughing too much, maybe they should encourage them to watch their sitcoms. That'll shut people up.

ABC was showing an infomercial about some new piece of exercise equiptment. The first sentence I heard was, "I was fighting with my weight for a year." I doubt this lady was telling the truth. Fighting is great exercise and fighting with yourself is probably twice the workout. There's no way she'd be out of shape after fighting for a year.

CBS was also showing an infomercial. About knives. The salesman promised, "You use this knife and you’ll save yourself money." He was probably talking about cutting food, but if you watch CBS long enough you'll use the knife on yourself and free yourself from that monthly cable bill!

Fox told me that if I "Drink Pepsi" I'll "Go Pro." I hardly ever drink Pepsi anymore. Guess that explains why I got passed over in the NFL draft again this year.

The WB wins the quote contest though. The first line I heard? "It’s time to re-think TV." Amen to that.

3 comments:

Robin said...

What's great about your comments about NBC's one-liner is that you had a good laugh at their expense.

PS - What's the latest on my visit in June? Any more details worked out?

matthew said...

Haha...never even thought of that :)

PS - I'll email you when I am sure I have a 3rd ministry destination for ya

matthew said...

even # of comments