Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The Name Game

Chinese names are quite hard for Americans to say. Kindly, the Chinese people realize this and many of them have taken English sounding nick-names. To match their generosity, I go by my Chinese name when I'm in China.

I'm Matai. Ma means horse. Tai means wife. I am horse-wife.

Some of the Chinese English teachers chose common American names like Tom and Ed. But others chose interesting names like Bird and Wonderful. And to answer your question, Kayla, yes the other teacher's name is pronounced Poo. I enjoy that also, so we didn't give him and English name.

4 comments:

Robin said...

I picked up the name "Shiroi Musashi" when I was in Japan. Shiroi=white; Musashi=the name of the most famous samurai in history.

Heather Durkee said...

I am glad to see that you are posting again. I am in Buffalo again. Long story, but i am taking care of my alzheimers gma. I look forward to reading your posts again. I like consistent bloggers!

matthew said...

Cool name Robin. I would have preferred it to Horse-wife :)

Thanks Heather...God bless you as you take care of your grandma

matthew said...

even # of comments