Tuesday, April 05, 2005

I Need A New Job

I am currently unemployed. Let me know if you hear of any openings.

I have plenty of experience...

I used to convict people of sin, but they stopped believing sin exists. I used to counsel the hurting, but now they have pop-psychology and self-help books. I used to sanctify people, but now they don't know what that means. I used to inhabit praises, but now they're too busy following the words on a screen. I used to pray with people on Wednesday nights, but they decided to stop doing those services. I used to meet needs, but they have programs to do that now. I used to give pastor's a vision for their community, but now they just steal leftover vision from super-pastors. I used to be on the move, but they fell in love with the movements instead of with Me. I used to be Someone, but now I'm just an it.

Give me a Call,
Holy Spirit

5 comments:

Robin said...

Ouch. Well said. But ouch.

Heather Durkee said...

Whitey stole my comment. It took forever to log into blogger and my comment was taken! Oh well... But I must admit..I thought you really needed a job!

Sarah Gomez said...

Well, I told you once that I would be disappointed when you missed a day of your everyday posting.. but to leave this one on top is an adequate reason for missing a day.

How would CHristian lives be different if the Spirit were truly allowed to do his job!?

b.rando said...

i have to be honest.

i don't like those kind of writings. they just stir up feelings of guilt that are not genuine or necessary.

plus i don't think the holy spirit stops convicting people of sin just because they don't believe in it. we believe in sin because the holy spirit tells us we have sinned. sin isn't some disconnected act we commit against one another. sin is an act of rebellion against the One who created and loves us. as such, the holy spirit is intimately connected with each action we take, each stab in the heart we give him, and will convict us of that when the time is right.

same with sancification. we don't have to know what it is to be able to give ourselves fully to God. we don't have to understand the theological formulation of it in order to fall in love with God.

and we can pray whenever we want, not just on wednesday nights.

anyway, yes, there are some things in that statement that could challenge us to get back to the heart of things, but overall i find it negative and mostly not true.

with love, brandon

matthew said...

As always...take what is encouraging and useful from my blog and ignore whatever you find otherwise.

Everyone has different taste in writing styles. I don't know that any style is categorically bad.

I have always found that style thought provoking in a positive way. Hopefully others did too.