Sunday, February 24, 2008

Chocolat

Saturday night I watched 'Chocolat' for the 3rd time. 3rd time must have been the charm b/c I really really liked this movie, even more than in the past. I think 'Chocolat' is one of the most relevant movies I've ever seen, especially for those in 'traditional' churches. What's more, I don't think I've ever seen a movie where I've felt so connected to so many of the key players in the plot. Dynamite character development!

Chocolat is about a woman and her daughter who turn an old school french town upside down (or downside up?). I think the best way to describe this movie is to quote the priest's message given near the end of the film. This quote summarizes the problem the town was experiencing and the solution it found: Listen, here's what I think. I think that we can't go around measuring our goodness by what we don't do. By what we deny ourselves, what we resist, and who we exclude. I think we've got to measure goodness by what we *embrace*, what we create and who we include.

Rating: 9.0
Status: Must Tell Others

6 comments:

Owen said...

I love this movie too. You're right about the character development. I also like the time and effort put into the supporting characters- they were more than stock characters.

I think it's one of those movies that gets better every time you watch it- I dodn't really like it the first time either.

Jecca said...

love this movie. :)

Aaron Perry said...

Check out Babette's Feast, if you like Chocolat. Chocolat is definitely an important movie for pietists.

matthew said...

Didn't we watch Babette's Feast at BBC? I am quite sure I was in some class where we watched that. But I didn't like it as much, despite the similarities.

Aaron Perry said...

Yeah, that might have been where I saw it! I saw it with Dr Van Dyke in first year Literature class.

Elizabeth said...

I love both movies. I think I saw Babette's Feast in one of Doc's classes.