Friday, August 10, 2007

Barry Bonds

I don't have strong feelings about anything baseball related. In fact, if it weren't for the fact that my Great Grandfather played a couple years for the Red Sox, I probably wouldn't like baseball at all. But I must admit, my appreciation for the game has slowly developed into somethingness over the years. So while I'm not super passionate about this Barry Bonds 'issue,' I do have an opinion.

I like Barry Bonds. It's not that I think he's innocent (I'm sure he used steroids) or that I think he's misunderstood (I'm sure he's a bit of a jerk). I like him because he doesn't care if I like him. In an age where many athletes yearn to be media darlings, Barry doesn't give a rip what people think about him. At a time when athletes speak in boring cliche, I'm never quite sure what Bonds is going to say (or if he'll even say anything).

All this talk about putting an * next to his name in the record books is stupid. First of all, while it is pretty obvious that he used steroids, he's never failed a test. Second, it's Major League Baseballs fault for not being proactive on this issue earlier (they were loving every minute of the home-run races). Third, he's competing against players that are/were also on steroids (including pitchers). I've even heard some talk about Barry not being worthy of the Hall of Fame. That's ridiculous. He was a Hall of Fame worthy player even before he got muscular.

1 comment:

Aaron Perry said...

Great line: "In an age where many athletes yearn to be media darlings, Barry doesn't give a rip what people think about him."