Friday, April 20, 2007

Eternity in their Hearts

In stark contrast to the 1st book I read on my trip, I thoroughly enjoyed Don Richardson's 'Eternity in their Hearts.' It's certainly not a new book (published the year I was born), but it may end up being my favorite book of 2007. Basically, it's about 'general revelation,' a subject that interests me to a high degree.

Richardson is a missionary and his book argues that at the root of most ancient folk religions of the world lies a monotheism that has only relatively recently evolved into polytheism. Further, he argues that this remnant of monotheism can and has been utilized by missionaries as a bridge to Christ with fantastic results. Telling one of the stories would probably be a better review, but instead I simply recommend the book to you. If you have a heart for missions, you'll love it. If you don't have a heart for missions, you may by the time you're done reading.

3 comments:

Dena said...

Sounds like a great book! I, too, have been intersted in this topic for quite some time, but outside of a theology text book, I have not found much material dealing with this subject. I'll have to pick it up next time I am in the States. Thanks Matt.

Uber Props to the Mission-Plugging Pastor!!!

theajthomas said...

Dude, you gotta fix the ***. I have no idea how to navagate the blogospere without them any more.

matthew said...

i would love to fix them

in fact, i would do it manually, but currently it won't even let me do that!