Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Trips I'd Love

For the past 4 years I've enjoyed 'Houghton Family Camp,' but I've never taken a personal vacation. The Local Church Board, however, is basically forcing me to leave so I will be taking a trip after Easter Sunday to visit friends in Syracuse, Maine, New Brunswick & Nova Scotia. But this got to thinking about dream vacations. Here are 5 trips I'd love:

1. Space - I'd love to visit space. I want to look at the earth from a ship. I want to walk on the Moon or Mars. I'd settle for the 'Total Recall' virtual vacation I suppose, but I'd prefer the real thing. I'd like to be the captain of a starship also, but I suppose that fits better with yesterday's post.

2. Train - I really want to do a train trip. I don't care where I go so much as I care that I go there on a train. I want it to be one of those trains where my friends and I have a private room or whatever. I want to cross canyons on a train-bridge and whatnot. I want to stop in a small city and hop out for a few hours.

3. Australia - I want to meet girls that talk like Claire from the show Lost. I want to see a Kangaroo. I'd love to meet a Kangaroo that talks like Claire from the show Lost, but that'll prolly never happen. I just really like most everything I hear about Australian culture.

4. Minnesota - I'd really like to see the biggest ball of twine that Minnesota has to offer. Either that or Albuquerque.

5. Any Hotel - For the most part, I don't really care about specific destinations for a vacation. A place is as fun as the people you're there with. I'd just love to be able to drive around North America for a month with a bunch of friends. No agenda. No financial restraints. We'd just go where the wind took us and find a place to sleep when we felt like it.

Where would you love to go?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have went on a vacation with Matt, to the Bay of Fundy. We stayed in a beautiful suit with a mini kitchen, big bath, BBQ, porch swing. and king size bed. It was called Cliffside suits.( the view was gorgous it over looked the village of alma NB ) there are alot of things to do or you can do nothing.

Jo said...

do not underestimate the beauty of northern minnesota. it is one of the country's best kept secrets. i love it. go to the boundary waters wilderness area. breathtaking, calming, amazing. in fact, now i want to go. the downside is that people up there are not very friendly to outsiders. it's hard to get 'in.'

Jo said...

p.s. i would love to go to halifax again. i enjoy that city. i like the art museum there, esp. the maud lewis exhibition. she rocks. plus, you can ride the boat around the harbour and see clog dancing. and, there is a lot of great used bookstores and pubs to get unique meals at. and cobblestone streets.

also, i want to go to scandinavia. i want to see the old viking 'long houses' with their bright coloured folk-art decor.

and british columbia. i want to go to the area where artist emily carr lived. she inspires me.

Anonymous said...

plus, PLUS, did you all know that the city of Vancouver has a city-ordained annual pillow fight on a Saturday afternoon?!?! you didn't, but now you do. How cool is that?!

Anonymous said...

italy
australia
scotland
california
the southern states
back to NS and NB
saskatchewan
i like the idea of the train trip
a plain ol' road trip.. just get in the car with friends and drive...
i love old quebec city
hehe.. just about anywhere

Jecca said...

1. Indiana - my great-grandmother lives there and when i was young we would drive out once a year. it's like a second home to me.

2. Montana - it's gorgeous.

3. Moon - I've always wanted to go to the moon too, but am super scared of it.

4. Europe - Italy, France, England...ah, i want to go.

5. I would also love to go on a train ride...been wanting to for years, perhaps I'll do it some time soon.



**quick note: i love these post topics, matthew :)

Elliott said...

1. Western Canada
2. Scotland
3. India
4. Greece
5. Return to Russia

Anonymous said...

Well I would absoluteky love to go to Italy because my family is from Italy. Also I would love to go to Bristol Motor Speedway and wtch a NASCAR race!!

Steve Nash

Owen said...

A friend of mine is moving to London this coming fall, so Luke and I are already saving up to go visit her. That's the big one at the moment.

Other than that- India, China, it would be nice to go back and see how much Tiawan has changed.

I wouldn't recomend saskatchewan to anyone, it's flat and the people arn't very nice.

I would like to do a train trip if the train was 100 years old like we see in the movies, even the biggest train rooms right now make airplane bathrooms look roomy.

Kirk said...

Matt you would like Australia. Not only do the girls talk like Clair but part of their culture is to kiss you in greating. Hmmm where do I want to go. I think I'll pick Atlantis. I hear the sea food is great. OR I'll say Dark Harbour. Both are good.

matthew said...

lots of interesting ideas people, looks like Canada is an especially popular vacation spot.

special thanks to NBA MVP Steve Nash for stopping by, or perhaps that is a different Steve Nash since it says his family is from Italy. If you're still around let us know who you are? :)

Jo, thanks for letting us know about the pillow fight.

Kirk, thanks for letting ME know about the kissing

matthew said...

After Easter I'm going to Henderson's (Wherever that is, i can't remember). Then we are travelling up to St. John's (tentative plans at the moment) to take the ferry to Digby. I'll try to touch base with you to see if meeting up would be possible :)

matthew said...

If Canada is give 2 nearby cities nearly identical names then they are going to have to suffer the consequences of jumbled communication

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I want to go everywhere! Spain, France, Russia, Ireland, New Zealand, Japan, Romania (again), New York City, Washington/Oregon/Northern California, and anywhere warm that has a nice beach.

If only I were independently wealthy.

Anonymous said...

matthew, you have no excuse for mixing up saint john and st.john's.. you went to school in NB for 4 years... just remember that when you say the city with the province, there are always 2 s's... St.john'S newfoundland, and Saint john new brunSwick... easy