Monday, March 19, 2007

Jobs I'd Love

I love being a full-time pastor. I really do. Teaching the Bible is my absolute favorite thing to do. Plus, I get lots of cookies from congregants. But if I weren't in ministry, what other jobs could make me happy? Here are 5 jobs I'd love:

1) Hockey Announcer - When I was a kid, I really wanted to be Rick Jeanneret. Well, not him specifically, but his successor. I dreamed that he'd retire from announcing Sabres games right as I graduated from hockey announcer college (wherever that is). He's still not retired, so the dream is alive!

2) Con Artist - In all 'honesty,' I'd really love to be a full-time Con-Artist. I love tricking people. I love pretending to be hurt. I love improv. I love Con-Artist movies like Opportunity Knocks, Bandits, Oceans 11 & Heartbreakers. But I'd have to leave the ministry to have this dream come true (or switch to televangelism and kill 2 birds with 1 stone).

3) Bible College Professor - I would love to teach at a Bible College. I may look to do that very thing if I ever retire from pastoral ministry. I'd look for creative ways to not only teach effectively but make an impact on each student.

4) Parodoctor - This is the word I made up because I didn't know the word 'parodist.' Even still, I'd love to have the talent and time to be like Weird Al. I am hoping, in the next couple of years, to write at least a few decent parodies in addition to my eHarmony song.

5) City Planner - I used to play SimCity2000 all the time! I'd love to design an entire city and then destroy it and start over. I'd use cheat-codes so money wouldn't be an issue. I especially like designing transit systems. My city would lead the nation in ease of travel.

What jobs would you love?

15 comments:

Dena said...

I've always said that in my next life I will be a fighter pilot, and in the one after that I'll be a storm chaser. I'm always the crazy person that goes to the highest point during an electrical storm to watch it roll in. No 9-5 desk job for me.

Aaron Perry said...

i think you should combine working with Bible College students and con-artist. i really think you could fake an internship. i say go for it!

Scottie said...

in no particular order,

1) youth pastor
2) sports announcer
3) professional athlete
4) game show host
5) stand up comedian

Owen said...

I would like to be a writer (like poems and novels ect) because I could set my own hours and anytime I was having writers block I could talk about inspiration and travel to India or Guatamala or wherever to find it.

I would like to be a lawyer because you get paid a lot of money to argue with people.

I would like to be a concert percussionist because I would get to play stuff I like, wear very elegent balck dresses and get applause every night.

I'd like to create a music school- kind of like a dance studio but for music lessons. I could work my own hours and be around cute kids all day long.

Kirk said...

Hey Ap,

You can't fake an internship. That is not possible.

Jecca said...

in a perfect world, i would quite possibly choose to be:

a) a writer
b) an archeologist
c) an astronomist
d) the 'house mom' in an orphanage

Elliott said...

1. Writer
2. Roller Coaster Tester
3. Fake Vomit Maker
4. Fake Poo Maker
5. Barrista at Starbucks

Anonymous said...

You are abso-positively right, "i lost you at hello." It is impossible to fake an internship. I would also say it is unwise to make an attempt at it.

wendsdaynightballplayer said...

Well these are the ones in order fom first to last:
1)NBA Player
2)Nascar announcer
3)Pet Store Owner
4)Special Forces Person (like 007)
5)Talk Show Host

Kirk said...

Wow you got Homer to post on your blog. I vote for Matthew for blog of the month.

matthew said...

I was going to TRY to fake an internship, but BBC staff kept showing up at mine throughout the 6 months!

matthew said...

wednesdaynightballer...

is this phil or nate? :) haha

Elliott said...

Was that really starks?

Jo said...

Wow. Starksy was here. I'm so impressed!

Jobs I'd love?

I would like to write editorials small articles for an edgy emergent-type of Christian magazine.

I would like to be a child psychologist who works for a school or secular organization.

Or, a person who is an advocate through writing and artistic expression for social justice needs connected with an influencial organization.

Or, I would like to counsel people who have gone through spiritual abuse. And yes, it surely does exist.

Of course, all of the above things involve not caring about being politically correct, and I'm not quite there yet.

Jo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.