Monday, February 26, 2007

Tribute to Perry

This past week my men's group lost one of its most faithful members. Perry Chambers was a great guy in his 70's who started coming to our church 2-3 years ago while recovering from a stroke. He was a true gentle-man. He always made sure to compliment his wife before men's group started and was very kind and playful with little children. Perry was a passionate prayer warrior. In fact, when he was healthy enough to come to group, I made sure to have him open up the meeting. He prayed with a great sense of need and in awe of God. Perry was filled with wonder. In a culture that fails to be awed much anymore, Perry was wowed by the beauty in simple things. Another great trait was Perry's ability to encourage others. Even in these past months, when guys went to visit him in the hospital, they always left very encouraged. But the most notable characteristic of Perry Chambers was that he was a new wineskin. I've never met a man, let alone a man in his 70's, more eager to learn new things. He was a Bible-teachers dream. He was very accepting of new things that God had for him. It is sad to see him go and I will miss, but I don't grieve as one who has no hope because I know that Perry knew the King of kings.

5 comments:

Aaron Perry said...

Matt, though I haven't meant Perry, he reminds me of a person who sees God "get bigger" as he grows older. In "Prince Caspian," Aslan tells Lucy that every year older she gets, that he will appear bigger. As you describe Perry, he strikes me as a person who saw God grow in stature as he grew older.

Bryan said...

I really wish that i had met perry sooner he seemed to have a certain way with words of prayer.

Scott said...

Perry Chambers was definitely an inspiration to everyone he met. The advice and encouragement that he gave me when I visited him in the hospital I will never forget.I will forever be greatful.

matthew said...

thanks for the comments guys :)

Jan said...

Perfect words of tribute for Perry. He will be missed.