Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Maguire Moments

I love the movie Jerry Maguire. It's about a guy who tried to ignore his true feelings for a long time, but eventually they poured out onto paper in the form of a mission statement. It was a moment of crystal clarity worthy of risk. It seemed so right that it didn't need to be thought through. But things didn't go very well. The mission statement got him fired & dumped and left him broke & broken. How could something that seemed so good produce results that seemed so bad?

I feel like Jerry Maguire lately. I feel like a guy that tried to ignore certain feelings for a long time, but then poured them out. It was a moment of crystal clarity and certainly worthy of risk. It definitely seemed like the right thing to do and the right time to do it, and yet the early results aren't as idealistic as anticipated. I feel like I'm on the edge of disappointment. Why didn't I think this through a little better?

Now, I could be optimistic and think about the ending of Jerry Maguire. He took the risk. Things got really bad. But then things got better. And his initial moment of clarity was vindicated. Or I could be pessimistic and say, 'that's a movie you stupid idiot. You won't have a happy ending.' More likely I'll be realistic and say to myself 'shutup you drama queen, things aren't bad at all, just be patient and see what happens, and whatever happens isn't the end or the beginning of your world.'

Haha! I realize, now, why I don't usually blog stuff like this. It takes forever! I started typing this almost an hour ago. Goodness gracious. I am going to put Jerry Maguire in the DVD player and try to sleep.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Good stuff, Matt. For an even better example, think about Joseph. Look what happened when HE shared his vision. And look how long it took to be fulfilled. But it WAS fulfilled. Don't worry, God's up to something.

Anonymous said...

I suggest option 3, "shutup you drama queen!...be patient and see what happens..." :D

matthew said...

haha, yeah, I agree with both of you :)