Thursday, June 22, 2006

What I Call Girls

I sometimes get myself into trouble because people don't understand my definitions for words such as cute/pretty/beautiful/hot. To avoid as many future problems as possible, I want to post my definitions of these terms so that I can quickly copy/paste in the future. Please don't be offended by my honesty.

Cute- If I call a girl 'cute' it tends to mean that I enjoy their personality AND find them somewhat attractive. Of course, there are many girls with good personalities that I do not find attractive. I don't call them 'cute' because I'm afraid they'll think I think they're attractive.

Pretty- If I call a girl 'pretty' it tends to mean that I find them somewhat attractive AND I enjoy their personality. "But that's the same exact thing you idiot!" No. The order is very important. If I say 'cute' more often to a particular girl, it means I like her personality better than her looks. If I say 'pretty' more often to her, it means I like her looks better than her personality. If I say both frequently, I'm probably quite enamored with her.

Beautiful- If I call a girl 'beautiful' I've probably become so convinced of both her cuteness and prettiness that I've asked her out and she said yes. And since I am lazy, I merge the two terms into one.

Hot- I almost never use this term except in the following way, "guys tend to think she's hot." Thus, 'hot' simply means a girl (usually a very famous or popular girl) that most guys get all excited about. I tend not to think such girls are 'pretty' and I have no idea if they are 'cute'.

***Disclaimers
Though I do not consider myself super superficial, I am willing to say I can't imagine dating/courting/marrying a girl I had no physical attraction toward. That being said, I have observed in my life that if someone has an awesome personality, my opinion of their 'looks' tends to increase with time. The reverse, though, is not true at all. If someone has awesome looks, I'm naturally skeptical about their personality.

One exception to the 'beautiful' definition: I said I only call girls beautiful if I already know them well and am in relationship with them. For some reason, the opposite extreme also allows for use of the term 'beautiful'. If I don't know a girl at all and someone asks me about her, I might say "she's a beautiful girl". But that use of 'beautiful' is more a matter of "she's beautiful because God created her" than anything else.

3 comments:

Benson said...

I have gained a deep appreciation for your writing on these pages... I rarely comment, but almost always read...and always with at least a smile and often times with an audible laugh! Congratulations on the exercising thing... When was the last time you went to bed @ 10:10p.m.??

matthew said...

I think it is accurate to say that I fall asleep before midnight (and sleep through the night) about 2-3 times each year.

I seriously cannot remember that last time I fell asleep as early as 10:10 and slept though the night. My guess is, it's been at least 3 years.

Jecca said...

I had to kind of smile at this...we girls have very similar lists. ^_^