Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Sermon Types

I've discovered that I have about 5 different 'types' of sermons

'Movement Busters'
Sometimes I notice a trend in the church that is not Scriptural. These sermons basically consist of a biblical refutation of such movements.

'Topical'
In these sermons, I pick and issue that is relevant and let Scripture speak. These almost always contain lots of quotes as I move from describing the problem to prescribing the solution.

'Which One Are You?'
Most passages of Scripture involve multiple characters. Here, I describe the characteristics of 2-5 of them and ask the people to consider which character they most emulate.

'Exposition'
Though there is some exposition in all my sermons, many of them just work through a passage verse by verse with observations and applications throughout.

'Word Study'
Sometimes I just pick a word in the Bible and read all the verses that use that word and then organize them into a few key points.

No comments: