Saturday, February 04, 2006

Guess Who

My lil sister really likes the game 'guess who'. It's a simple game. She picks a person and I ask 'Yes' or 'No' questions until I guess the person she has in mind. We've played this game so much that sometimes I can almost read her mind and win right away.

At first the questions are really general. Is it a boy? Is he famous? Eventually the questions get more complex. Is he fictional? Is he from a book(s)? And in the final stages the questions become quite specific. Does he live on a crowded page while wearing a red & white striped shirt? It takes time before I know enough to ask the perfect question. But once the perfect question is asked, I know I've won.

In some ways, I think asking God for stuff in prayer is like a game of 'Guess Who'. At first I have no idea what questions to ask or if the answer will be yes. The more I ask, though, the closer I get to asking the right kind of questions. And after I've prayed a lot, sometimes it seems like I know exactly what God is thinking.

In my prayer life, my goal is to get to know God so well that I find myself consistently asking the right questions and having great confidence in what the answer will be.

No comments: