Saturday, January 14, 2006

My Laptop

Here is a list of things wrong with my laptop:

1. The first power cord broke and needed replaced
2. It turns off spontaneously b/w 0-7 times a day
3. If the screen is tilted forward at all, it will close
4. The serial mouse port does not work
5. The touch pad does not work properly (pointer drifts)
6. There is only 1 USB port, now occupied by a mouse
7. The battery last 2-20 minutes
8. The CD/Burner works less than 5% of the time
9. No disk drive (only a problem b/c burner is broken)
10. Certain keys double up (d-l-o-h-i & backspace)*

*This problem is particularly annoying b/c I am somewhat of a perfectionist and when those 5 letters don't work I force myself to backspace and fix them. But the backspace often deletes 2 spaces at a time. This actually become quite comical on some words. For instance, 'hi' may turn out like 'hhii' so I'll hit backspace which deletes 2 I's leaving me with 'hh'. Then I'll try the 'I' again and if it works I'll have 'hhi'. Then I'll move 1 spot to the left to delete 1 'H', but both will be deleted leaving me with 'i' (at which point I just decide to change my message from 'hi' to 'i am frustrated').

8 comments:

Reino do Algarve said...

A very interesting blog!!!

Julie said...

I know how you feel about laptops. Mine is currently in a box waiting for me to send it back to the States to get fixed. My shuts off 0-1,000,000,000 times for no reason and then it switches between the power supply and battery and then tells me that I can't use it because the battery is dead but yet its plugged in. The mouse freezes. It kicks you offf the internet when you just signed on. So yes, I understand about laptops and mine has been down for half a year now.

Julie said...

And I forgot to mention you can't charge my battery and it won't last long on battery power.

matthew said...

thanks tree4five

julie, that sounds like a great laptop :) maybe we could trade. Actually, mine runs very well internet-wise. All my issues are hardware related. I hope yours gets fixed soon!

Kirk said...

#11 It's not a mac. While I actually don't know this for sure based on the list you gave it sounds like a non mac to me.

matthew said...

You assume correctly. It is a dell. But I am very loyal and will probably buy another dell!

JHW said...

Matt,
HHi
Maybe it would be good to...
I don't know...
get a new computer. Or buy pencils and notebook paper and go back to to the ancient ways. Does Walmart sell papyrus? That would be cool.

I have a Dell desktop...works pretty good.

matthew said...

haha

yeah, i will get a new one at some point this year. i have no problem with dell. i like them actually. I bought this used 2 years ago and don't expect it to work right :)

i think wal-mart sells everything so i may consider the other options u mentioned.

Now I'm going to re-type what I just typed w/o backspacing to show you how bad it is.

i thtink wal-mart sells everything so i may cocnsiderr theh other optins u mentined.