Monday, January 02, 2006

I Went to Church

For the 1st time in years, I wasn't at a Wesleyan church this Sunday morning. I rewarded the Church of God Anderson for finishing 1st in my Favorite Churches contest by gracing them with my presence. I even went an hour early (turns out they cancelled sunday school too!). The pastor greeted me and quickly realized I was the guy that emailed him last month. He gave me a book which was like a COGA vision statement/core-values kinda thing. A handful of people warmly welcomed me prior to the service.

The feel was quite casual. Even moreso than my home church. There was good energy and fellowship as the people gathered. The music was a blend of chorus and hymn. Special music was very nice. Sermon was bordering on great. I was edified. One thing about 'working' at a church (even though I don't do much on Sunday mornings) is I am in so much of a 'serve' mode that my mind just isn't able to focus on 'receiving.' It was nice to just be able to sit back completely and let God speak.

The Church of God Anderson showed itself to be 'practically' what I had declared them to be 'positionally': My favorite Christian group/church.

No comments: