Sunday, December 11, 2005

Wesley One-Liners

Here are some of the more interesting Wesley quotes I have come across (I'm teaching through his life tonight as part of my church history series).

"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn." "Beware you be not swallowed up in books! An ounce of love is worth a pound of knowledge" "When I have money, I get rid of it quickly, lest it find a way into my heart." "Make all you can, save all you can, give all you can" "The best of it is, God is with us." "The Church recruited people who had been starched and ironed before they were washed." "The longer I live, the larger allowances I make for human infirmities. I exact more from myself and less from others. " "Once in seven years I burn all my sermons; for it is a shame if I cannot write better sermons now than I did seven years ago." "I look on all the world as my parish" "As to matters of dress, I would recommend one never to be first in the fashion nor the last out of it" "I desired as many as could to join together in fasting and prayer, that God would restore the spirit of love and of a sound mind to the poor deluded rebels in America" "You may be as orthodox as the devil and as wicked"

Do you have a favorite Wesley One-liner?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the one about burning his sermons. So true.

matthew said...

I agree with it in part

I certainly wouldn't burn them. It's interesting to read through old sermons to see what I was thinking in the more infant stages of ministry.

Then again, Wesley certainly didn't burn his, or else we probably wouldn't have them today.

I think every 7 year old sermon should at least be improved. But we can't take the quote too far. I mean, it's not as if Wesley went around telling his listeners to forget everything he taught them 7 years ago. He just built on a foundation.

It'd be silly to keep laying foundations and never build a house.

Anonymous said...

well-put.

I wouldn't burn my sermons either, but hey, it's John Wesley, he can do whatever he wants.

er...well, he had the option to at one point. you know what I mean.