Thursday, December 22, 2005

Not Offended

Many Christians are offended by the phrase 'happy holidays' and the abbreviation 'x-mas'. I'm not. As I'm sure many of you know, both of these 'Christmas' alternatives have sacred roots. The word 'holiday' is based on the old english words for 'holy' and 'day' and thus isn't secular at all. 'X-mas' also has sacred roots except that we say 'ex' (as in the english letter) whereas the X in the abbreviation is 'chi' (as in the greek letter) which is the 1st letter in the word for Christ.

Instead of being offended when someone says 'happy-holidays' or writes 'x-mas' perhaps we could use it as a conversation starter to explain the true meaning of the terms. I admit that 'holiday' and 'x-mas' have evolved into secular terms, but we can redeem them. After all, that's probably what Christmas is as a whole, a redeemed version of a secular holiday.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Yeah... that's like when people say "Don't say goodbye, just see you later".... meaning goodbye sounds so final. But goodbye actually comes from "God be with you" ... or so I've heard.

matthew said...

hehe, good comments guys and girl

It's probably TOO hard to offend me, but even if I was offended at a perfect level...happy holidays wouldn't do it. I'm quite sure :)