Wednesday, November 23, 2005

#5 Calvary Chapel

My 5th favorite church is the non-denominational Calvary Chapel. With its mother church in Costa Mesa (California), Calvary Chapel has birthed over 500 affiliate churches in the United States. Pastor Chuck Smith (who was a leading figure in the 'Jesus movement') now pastors one of the 10 largest protestant churches in the country.

While there are some things I don't like about Calvary Chapels (they are passionately dispensational), there is much more I do like! I've been edified by a number of their pastors (Chuck Smith, George Bryson, Gayle Erwin, Skip Heitzig) and have heard many good testimonies about Chuck Smith and some of the affiliate churches.

2 comments:

swITCHFUTgUY said...

you know a church is too big/too much expendable income when they offer a video podcast for the sunday service. unless of course it was my church...then it would be ok and totally cool

matthew said...

haha, yah. From what I hear Calvary Chapel's spend God's money in very good ways. I think there's a fairly big CC somewhere between you and me.