Monday, October 31, 2005

Legalism

No ISM's death brings me more joy than this one: Legalism.

Anyone who knows me knows I am not a rigid person. I'm very laid-back and carefree to a fault. Legalism is very strict and troubled. One of the best qualities of the younger generation is its grace. I think we have more grace than the previous generation. We let things go. We forgive. We aren't upset by different opinions. I am excited to see how ministry changes as legalism dies. What new things will we accomplish? What new struggles will we have?

In my experience, most of the annoying times in ministry are the result of legalists demanding the un-necessary. They slow down momentum. They stifle the Spirit. Their preferences aren't the problem, it's the fact that they demand them. I wish I could say 'rest in peace' but legalists know no peace. They are always at war.

3 comments:

t-h-u-r-l-a-n-d said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
t-h-u-r-l-a-n-d said...

Be careful how you talk about the preceding generation. (Some of them may actually read your blogs.) The one thing I do know, is that in 20 years, someone will be conversing about your generation ... and they will say, "That generation had it all wrong." I know ... for I said it (and still say it) about the preachers before me, and ... they said it (and still do) about the preachers before them. The only difference is, I was right, while you (and they) are wrong. (wry smile on my face as I type that last sentence). The point I am trying to make is that "we are all in this together, building on the previous generation's strengths, learning from their mistakes, ... and making some of our own."

matthew said...

I certainly agree with you Pastor T-h-u-r-l-a-n-d :)

In fact, I think some of the 'strengths' of the younger generation may also turn into weaknesses. Too much grace, for example, and you wouldn't be able to stand! (I think i stole that from seinfeld)

I was just stressing some positives about this generation, at the expense of others, b/c I was in an optimistic mood :)

Good to hear from you!