Tuesday, October 11, 2005

2 Ministry Fears

That people just don't care- I sometimes am afraid that despite the passion of the preaching & the seriousness of the sermons, a large percentage of church people just don't care. They're content to remain unchanged... content to be church-people, but not God's people.

That I'll blame myself- I sometimes fear that if that's true, I'll blame my ministry. I've heard it said (especially in church growth circles) that if people don't listen, it's the speakers fault. I disagree, but if you hear something enough it's hard not to believe.

3 comments:

Jo said...

hey matt,
keep your chin up. it may not be you at all. it's cool that you are considering taking responsibility, but don't get too down, because church growth gurus are fadish and fickle and they don't know much more than squat in the long run. the important thing is that you love your people....even if they don't hear you for years, i think that loving them will prevail....(and corinthians has somehting to say about that too).

matthew said...

yeah, i think patience must be the hardest task of a pastor

and i totally disagree with the church growth cliche i mentioned. In my observation, the prophets were incredibly faithful & obedient, but made little difference in the lives of their listeners.

Jo said...

yup.