Thursday, September 01, 2005

Yankee Apologetics

Today the local radio sports talk show host was trying to convince me that the Yankees have overcome enormous odds to currently own the wild card playoff spot in the American league. He noted injuries & clubhouse drama as barriers that they have overcome. It was the dumbest monologue I have ever heard.

The NY Yankees have a payroll of 205 MILLION DOLLARS. That is $85 million more than the 2nd most expensive team. They should be nearly undefeated, not sneaking their way into the playoffs. They have not had any significant injuries to their star players. They have not had more 'drama' than any other team.

If you combine the salaries of the 3 teams they are fighting for a playoff spot with (Oakland, Anaheim & Cleveland) you still come up with a number LESS THAN the Yankees payroll. Shutup Yankees fans. Stop defending your under-achieving prima donnas.

5 comments:

Julie said...

matthew-
Never knew you felt that way about the yankees. I know someone that would say amen to this post. Because he is sick and tired of all the yankees crap. And his name is Tabor. But I agree with your last line too

matthew said...

I'll admit that I am a slightly biased Red Sox fan :)

Scottie said...

preach it matty... preach it... down with the freakin yankees and sorry, but down with the red sox as well... jays fan here, but since they are out, gotta go with the pale sox...

Aaron Perry said...

good post. calvary community church in johnson city, ny.

Pete said...

I'm a Pirates fan, so I am biased a little bit against a team that can afford to spend like that, but here is how I feel.

Steinbrenner needs to realize that he isn't playing fantasy baseball. He has mega-talent on the field, but the teams that won him championships came when he from when he had to keep his hands off of the team.

They built up the farm system (my now-hometown Clippers for one) and had prospects to fill holes and act as trade bait.

Now they are languishing on the vine and, while I am an A-Rod fan, I really don't want them in the playoffs, I want them to retool and quit clearing the field of superstars so some other teams can have them.

Parity is what makes the NFL great, it could work for MLB, too.