Friday, September 23, 2005

Mr. Holland's Opus

Tonight, for our 100th men's group meeting, we had a movie night. Mr. Holland's Opus is a moving film. And it takes a lot for a movie to move me. The movie is best summarized by the quote, 'life is what happens while you're busy planning.'

Mr. Holland is an aspiring composer forced to take a detour on the way to his dream. He grudgingly becomes a high school music teacher thinking it will grant him cash and free time. But needy students and family responsibilities turn a pit stop into a permanent residence. Holland doesn't realize, until it's over, just how valuable that residence had become over the years.

This movie left me with a great reminder that value is found in relationships, not accomplishments. It is better to invest in people than in personal ambitions. I'd recommend this movie to everyone, especially pastors.

Rating: 8.9
Status: Must Own

4 comments:

Jo said...

matthew,
have you really never viewed this movie before now?! wow. it's classic. glad you liked it.

matthew said...

I'd seen it before. But I didn't have a blog then. Most everything I review is stuff from long ago. I only watch like 5 new movies a year.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved this movies. One of the five or six which I cry at every time I watch.

In an unrelated question, how do you make all the graphics for your site?

matthew said...

I make them on adobe photoshop and my brother hosts them for me