Friday, August 05, 2005

Family Camp 05

My Top 10 Highlights of Family Camp 05

10. It was my 20th straight year of camp. 9. Having so many members of our congregation come for the week (I think we finished 2nd in attendance). 8. Drinking 2 glasses of Upstate Farms chocolate milk every meal. 7. Finding the book I lost...turns out it was in my car the whole time. 6. Seeing old friends (from BBC, internship, etc). 5. Staying up late and playing cards. 4. Beating my brother in tennis 6-4 (It was too hot to play a 2nd set). 3. Some of the kids spent their craft time making lady bugs to scare me (I'm scared of lady-bugs). 2. Seeing my best friend Aaron for the first time since last year. 1. Walking around campus with my niece Emma (the cutest niece in the known universe).

9 comments:

Heather Durkee said...

Upstate Farms chocolate milk is really good. But I must admit, my favourite is Farmers Chocolate Milk from NS. Who did you see from BBC?

matthew said...

Melissa George
Melinda Finley
Johanna Duda
Aaron Henderson
Grace Cronk
Aaron Moore
Nicole Moore

Dancin' said...

District Conference/Family Camp is great, but you just can't beat Beulah. I mean what other District in The Wesleyan Church has their District Camp as the defining feature?! Why else would pastors from all over the Continent schedule their vacation time around Beulah Camp. Beulah Camp... it's like, God's terrestial condo.

matthew said...

I knew someone would mention Beulah :)

Dancin' said...

GOTTA REPRESENT!!.....YO

Heather Durkee said...

I didn't think beulah was that amazing. But i also don't thing Houghton Family camp is that amazing either. If Beulah is amazing in any way, its about seeeing so many people you love in one place.

matthew said...

I agree Houghton isn't amazing

Maybe some day I'll take over and make it rad and stuff

Dancin' said...

Durkee, you speak blasphemy! LOL
Seeing all our friends and people we love is part of the Beulah experience. However, there is a certain "Je ne sais quoi" it seems only those who have grown up there appreciate.

I don't mean this in a vain way exclusive manner. I've noticed when talking to people who have ended up at Beulah because of district responsibilities or a friend brought them tend not to enjoy Beulah, like those of us who spent our 2 weeks of our summer swimming at the Wharf, biking the roads, hanging out at each others'cottages, and running along the rocks.

Maybe it's the nostalgic feeling
of childhood innocence, Like the distant sun setting behind the hills as children run and play on the wharf. It's as though for those 9 days we know what the world is suppose to be like. This may end up as next weeks post for my blog.

matthew said...

Dave, I think that is definitely part of it. I've been to Houghton Famaily Camp 20 straight years and love it even though it isn't really 'amazing' to new people (or me in many senses).

But I can't imagine missing it.