Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Literally

Somewhere along the line, a ton of Christians became convinced of the following rule for Biblical interpretation: Interpret the Bible literally unless it is obvious the passage is not literal. I have no problem with that rule in general, but it seems that more & more I disagree with what's obviously not literal. That's why the actual wording of the literal principle of Biblical interpretation is better: Interpet the passage according to rules of the genre it is written in. This keeps us from assuming something that shouldn't necessarily be assumed.

4 comments:

Scottie said...

gotta post you might think is kind of funny... unless you think less of me after it... but i hope not... check it out...

matthew said...

haha...hmmm...I wonder if it's possible to suspend you from my blog for 2 weeks or something :)

Aaron Perry said...

not sure if your statement is tongue in cheek, but you'd think that "the meaning God intended" is 1) not the thing most hermeneuts are after; 2) rather simple. uh...i don't think so.

matthew said...

Aaron, I am not sure I understand the wording of your comment...but I agree the wording of my post was not good. I copied and pasted that definition of the literal principle from a site and should have taken the time to find a clearer definition.

I have adjusted the wording

That being said, I think my meaning was clear. To use the literal pinciple doesn't mean we have to take something in a wooden literal sense, but that we should take it in the sense its genre implies.

More and more I discover that people demand a wooden literal meaniing unless it is blatenly obvious otherwise, but that need not be.