Thursday, May 12, 2005

Unextincted

This article made me laugh a little bit about the shortcomings of human knowledge. It seems some extinct animals are making a Lazarus-like return to existence much to the surprise of contemporary scientists.

You see, we can only guess when something is extinct based on our lack of being able to find them. But sometimes animals are hard to find! I remember last year when part of our house was burning down I went back in to find our little dog, but was unsuccessful. I looked upstairs, but she was downstairs under the couch. The firemen got her and the glory, but my point remains the same.

The article even mentions the most embarressing extinction story for scientists: The Coelacanth, which was thought to be extinct for the last 65 million years only to be found alive in 1938.

No comments: