Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Passion of the Christ, the

After 9 straight posts about the Passion Week, I figured it made sense to review Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ. I just watched it for the 2nd time the other night.

The first time I watched it I was all by myself. I watched it on the big screen in our sanctuary. I'm not an emotional guy. I didn't cry. But it did show me, probably more accurately than I'd ever seen before, what Christ really did for me. It made me take a walk outside.

The second time I watched it in the same place, but this time the congregation watched with me. This time I was interested to see how useful it was as a ministry tool. After seeing people react to the film, I'd say it's a pretty good tool.

Gibson made some strange choices regarding the Satan character, but nothing that ruined the flow of events. Overall, I'd say the movie was very good. I probably like it better as a resource than as a movie. I'm also glad it made a lot of money b/c that means more religious/Christian/Bible stories will hit the big screen.

RATING: 8.7
STATUS: Must Own

2 comments:

Katie said...

You're right.. the Passion is a good movie as a resource. It brings things into a very real perspective to actually see what happened to Jesus.

I've seen it a couple times, and the one part I didn't really get was the part where Satan is holding the baby demon, and what significance that had in the movie. My mom and I were talking about it, and she got the impression that Satan was kind of mocking Jesus, showing him how he cared for his own, unlike how God had forsaken him through this whole ordeal. That makes sense to me!
What did you think of that part?

matthew said...

I've heard lots of different theories on what the baby represented so I found out what Gibson said about it:

"it's evil distorting what's good. What is more tender and beautiful than a mother and a child? So the Devil takes that and distorts it just a little bit. Instead of a normal mother and child you have an androgynous figure holding a 40-year-old 'baby' with hair on his back. It is weird, it is shocking, it's almost too much"

Frankly, I think your mom's reasoning would have been smarter.