Friday, March 25, 2005

Pain Friday

We call it Good Friday now, but for roughly 40 hours it was misery for Jesus' closest followers. They had left their family and friends to follow Jesus and now He was gone. The dream was dead. And think of it from Jesus' perspective. The physical anguish is almost unbelievable. The emotional distress is almost incomprehensible. Add to that the weight of sin, satan's temptations, and His human nature...these were by far the most painful hours history has known.

And then I question if God is going to be able to use a bad situation in my life for good? That doesn't make much sense on my part. If God can take the worst event in history and turn it into the best, He can work in my situation. If God can take the greatest pain and turn it into the greatest reason for joy, then I can bare my current sorrow.

Everyone has pains in their life. Pain can be private or public. Pain can be physical, emotional, or spiritual. Pain can make sense or be confusing. Jesus' pain was all of those. He's ready to handle my pain and He's the only one qualified to do so.

2 comments:

Sarah Gomez said...

I haven't been commenting much, but I've been keeping up all week. Just wanted to thank you for your fresh perspective on an age old week.

How did cute little bunnies and chicks become the focus of such an intense and life changing event in history?? Humans sure do have a way of twisting things don't we?

matthew said...

Well thanks for the comment Sarah. It's tough pickin 1 theme each day. This has definitely been the most worshipful Passion Week of my life.