Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Dreams

I remember a time when I remembered my dreams almost every morning. I even wrote them down in a little green spiral notebook until that notebook became too incriminating. I also was a huge fan of interpreting dreams. Just like reading into Scripture, it's very easy to read into dreams whatever meaning you want. For a while I could interpret both a dream about a worldwide flood and one about a red-eyed Big Bird chasing me around town to mean that my current crush loved me back.

I don't remember my dreams very often anymore. I don't write them down. Even if I do remember them I don't often try to interpret them. Maybe I'm just a boring person, but my view of dreams has changed. I don't think they mean anything (not that God can't use dreams for a special purpose). I think they are simply information floating around in a common pond of your brain while you sleep.

Did you ever realize you were dreaming? This morning I had the rare ability to control my dream. For some reason my dream had me reading a piece of paper. Once I realized I was dreaming I decided to read the whole page. It was mumbo-jumbo. It made no sense. It was just a combination of words I've been dealing with lately: China, tone, book, contradiction, car, passport, etc. Dreams are recent thoughts bumping into each-other.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But what about when you have a dream about finding a quarter and a nickel, and the next day - you find a quarter and a nickel?! Right there next to eachother like they were in the dream?! Hmm... haha :)

matthew said...

Rach...

Maybe, in your case, what you thought was the dream WAS real life and what you thought was real life WAS the dream.

Sounds like a good idea for a surprise ending to a movie.