Wednesday, March 09, 2005

The Buffalo News

The Front Page of the Buffalo News had a story entitled Mansions of Worship this past Sunday. The article is long, but can be found here. There are plenty of quotes from the pastors of my areas largest churches, 2 of which are Wesleyan. For readers from my denomination, I'll quote the following section:

"In the Buffalo-Niagara region, among several denominations, only the Wesleyan church made any sizable gain in adherents between 1990 and 2000. The denomination's presence grew from 2,687 people to more than 15,000."

Pastor Karl (Eastern Hills Wesleyan)
"Does church have to be dry and yawning and you can't wait for it to be over?"

Pastor Greg (Hamburg Wesleyan)
"People ought to be able to worship God using music they're comfortable with and they enjoy."

3 comments:

Sarah Gomez said...

I take back my comment about your board disappointing me. You've done more than enough today/last night to give me something to read.

Heather Durkee said...

I am in Buffalo currently and my dad told me about this article. He is not a Christian and thinks that it is amazing how these churches are growing! I really think its great how they are growing in this area with so much catholicism and apathy towards Christianity!

matthew said...

Thanks Sarah

Heather...hope you have a great stay :) Keep in touch about your availability in June!