Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Zombies

Sunday evening we studied Jesus' letter to the church in Sardis (we're slowly making our way through Revelation). One of the great advantages to being a minister is the view. You really see a lot more from up front. I love watching the faces of the congregation during praise, prayer and proclamation. Sardis was the dead church. They were basically zombies. I'm so thankful, that as I watched the faces of the congregation Sunday night, I saw people who were alive spiritually.

Before we studied Sardis 4 people were baptized. The heater on our baptismal was broken, so the quartet was quite cold. But I thought to myself as I watched them emerge from the water, knowing I was about to teach about a dead-cold church, how much better to be physically cold, but on fire for Christ than to be physically warm, but cold-hearted!

2 comments:

Erskine said...

Praise the Lord! It's refreshing to hear about churches that are spiritually healthy. I know there are several of these churches, but there are also a lot of zombies out there. Thanks for the uplift this morning.

matthew said...

One thing I've learned practically, instead of just on paper, in ministry is you've gotta celebrate the victories. I think Bible College sometimes creates an idealism in people that, in the end, produces a trend towards cynicism. When I think about the church, all it should be, could be, and isn't....it's easy to be negative. It's tougher to find those flickers of light and rejoice in them. But I don't wanna miss them anymore.