Saturday, February 19, 2005

Ray



Another sleepless night, another movie. And I'm not even near tired yet. 'Ray' is the story of Ray Charles, the great musician. I always liked his voice so I had some level of interest in this movie. I learned a lot about the life and times of Mr. Charles. As we journey through his biography, we watch him struggle with guilt, loneliness, addiction, and sin. He struggles through it, but comes out on top (that's not really a spoiler b/c most of us already know the basic story). But I think what was most noteworthy about this film was the acting of Jamie Fox. He really looked and sounded like Ray Charles. He's a very talented guy. It was, however, too long.

Rating: 6.8
Status: Worth the Time

4 comments:

Heather Durkee said...

Hey Matt-
I saw this movie the other night and I was sooo depressed after I saw it! It was such a shame to me that he wasted his whole like pretty much on herion and sex with other woman besides his wife! I must give props to the wife for knowing all that he was doing and still remaining committed. In one way, she was doing the right thing, but on the other hand she has a lot of patience and tolerance. I was also depressed that no one can write good music unless they are addicted to something! He wrote his best music when he was high on herion! There were two things however that made this movie great. 1. Jamie Foxx's acting 2. People just like "Ray" are coming through our church doors every Sunday. I guess its hard to know God and the type of relationship you have with him and to see others struggling like that. But it brings you to a humble state and reminds you how fortunate you were to choose God over the world. That your spirit would actually respond to His when he was prompting you to receive salvation. That's grace and mercy on our souls. On the contrary, I am thankful that he could kick the habit and that he could live fairly normal (as a millionaire) before he died.

matthew said...

It's true though, I think, that some of the 'greatest' music is made when people are high.

Problem is, there are lots of things one can be 'high' on.

Heroin, Alcohol, love, the Spirit, etc. When we are 'full' of any of these these, we tend to lose our personal inhibitions.

The greatest music, in my opinion, is written during extreme times, good or bad.

Aaron Perry said...

hated the movie. so boring. foxx was great, though.

matthew said...

it was very long, too long