Monday, January 10, 2005

Was I Wrong?

I just remembered a story from my time at Bethany. Tell if you think I was RIGHT or WRONG in my demand...

One day I went to buy a textbook at the campus store. Since I always waited till the last minute to buy things there was only 1 of that specific book left. The book was, let's say (I can't remember specifics)$40. As I walked toward the counter and flipped through the book I noticed that some of the pages were printed upside down (apparently that's why this particular book was the last to be purchased).

I'm a book lover. If I'm going to buy an expensive book I want it to be perfect. So I asked 'how much would it cost the school to send this book back and/or get a perfect copy? I was told it would cost, let's say $10. Well, I loved my school more than I loved books, so I figured I'd offer the school store a spectacular deal.

Instead of sending the book back for $10, I said, 'why don't you give me $5 worth of merchandise and I'll keep this defective book. The school store did not like this trade offer. Since I was pretty pleased with my creativity in solving this problem and had no more classes that day I continued to argue. And eventually I got my way (which included a bumper sticker and some candy I think).

Did this story make any sense? Were my actions super annnoying? Or was my offer a win-win situation?

8 comments:

Jan said...

Depends on the viewpoint- to the person working the school store....super annoying. To you- it was a great deal. To me...I understand your need for a "perfect" book for your $$ so I understand why you went to such lengths but also have tremendous sympathy for the (I assume) girl working in the store. Guess this explains why you came home single ;-)
BTW- "She school store did not like this trade offer" just pointing out your typo...do you find that annoying???

matthew said...

But you know me....I didn't do it in an 'annoying' way...I was quite adorable.

And...Typo fixed

Heather Durkee said...

Matthew-- I am always one for having good customer service. But in regards to the bookstore, they probably don't make any REAL profit and I understanding wanting to have a good product. Especially when you are going to use them for your ministry later. I don't think what you did was necessarily wrong, but I would have probably just asked for a reduced price more than free merchandise. Plus- I would probably just look at it like it wasn't the bookstores fault and paid it anyway. Even though we were the ones getting burned on the deal, I would probably pay the normal price and think of it as a donation to the school. HMD

matthew said...

Yeah, Re-reading my post it sounded as if I was super serious about the whole thing, but I was merely joking around.

I agree with ya. I wouldn't have seriously made a big deal about it.

Anonymous said...

i personally believe you did the right thing. you even offered them a $5 discount! way to be the bigger man, matt.

Greger said...

I think the big question is:

"Is it right to charge full price for a defective product?"

If your answer to that is, no it is not right then the next question becomes:

"Can we see wrong being done and not speak up?"

So, in that light, what you did was right. But from your description it doesn't sound as if you were very tactful about it. After all, it is their right as much as it is yours to suggest a price — and you both have a right to accept or refuse each others offers. Badgering the sales clerk for an extended period of time in what is after all a voluntary transaction is a form of agression.

Robin said...

Having worked more in retail more than one would ever wish to, I would have to say that customers can be quite obnoxious in these situations. On the other hand, any retail store with any professional credibility or any knowledge of good customer service wouldn't charge you full price for a deffective item like that. I don't think you were obnoxious, so I think you were right.

Terry said...

I think that instead of arguing with the person, you could have bargained with the person. An irregular book for around $40? Plus 10? That is slightly over priced.