Friday, January 14, 2005

Online Dating: Part 1

It is hard to avoid the subject of Online Dating. I hear Neil Clark Warren telling me to check out eHarmony.com every day via TV and Radio. In fact, while driving around today our local radio station made online dating its 3 hour theme. Type in 'online dating' on Google and you get 18.2 MILLION results. It's a big thing.

I think this subject will be a multi-day series.

PART 1: Five Admissions
First of all, I'll admit I've been to the first 13 million of these sites. I am single, rarely meet interesting people (no offense to all the people I meet), and get quite bored sometimes b/w 12-5am.

Secondly, I'll admit I've talked to b/w 10 and 25 people via such websites (most of them you can include your AOL or MSN in the profile and avoid paying, which would be incredibly silly)

Thirdly, I'll admit I've been incredibly silly and paid $5 bucks a few times on one particular site in order to gain the right to contact 'my matches' for a month at a time.

Fourthly, I'll admit that I've had over 50 AOL/MSN conversations with 2 of these 'matches.' More often, I've realized after one conversation that something went wrong in the online match-making process.

Fifthly, I'll admit that I'm currently engaged to one of these...okay, just kidding on that one. But I will admit I'm not totally opposed to meeting online people offline.

PART 2: A Review of the top sites
PART 3: The PROS of online dating
PART 4: The CONS of online dating
PART 5: Concluding Thoughts

9 comments:

Sarah Gomez said...

K, this has nothing to do with your post.. although I'd have to admit while my online dating strategies have been far less numerous than yours, the one I DID have turned out very poorly. And stalkerish! (I hope he's not reading this)

However, you get more readers than I do.. so i'm taking a poll...
Is it strange/wierd/bad for a girl to ask a guy out for coffee/dessert/a drink -- the "first date" if you will??? I am looking for the first 10 responses. I already have a couple. Keep em coming

Robin said...

Frig, NO, it's not bad. This is the 21st century, for crying out loud. Some of us are too dumb (or slow, or shy... you fill in the blank) to realize a girl might actually be interested so it's good when she might make a move.

matthew said...

I agree with Robin regarding your poll

But I disagree with YOU hijacking my post! :) j/k

Sarah Gomez said...

tee hee.. like i said.. you have more readers! readers means voters!! thanks for the votes.

Unknown said...

I met my current husband through the old Yahoo Personals.....back when it was free.

Anonymous said...

i met my fiance when we were both halfway across the globe from each other, playing trivia on irc!!

now i've been in the states for a year and we're getting married in june!

letti.blogspot.com

matthew said...

Yummy...
That's pretty cool. Thanks for the comment.

letti...
That's becoming more common everyday. Best wishes to you :) Congrats!

Jute...
Thanks for the tip. Come back soon :)

M. said...

I've never tried online dating...but I have some friends who have. Surprisingly, they have also never met anyone worth dating via the internet. I wonder if it's just bad timing or a lack of interesting people in that world?

cmesmyl.modblog.com

Suzanne said...

Back when I was freshly divorced...I chatted with several people from on line and met a couple, which normally never worked out! I did however meet my fiance of three years now on yahoo...he was a solder, deployed in Kuwait at the time, and we are still together. We wrote emails back and forth about everything under the sun. By the time we met in person...I felt like I already knew him! You just never know.