Tuesday, December 07, 2004

William Butler Yeats

I love quotes. Tonight I ran across a page of quotes by William Butler Yeats. On the right side of the page was his date of birth. It turns out, we were both born on a 6/13. So I read all the quotes on the page, here are my favorites:

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."

"Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing."

"
I know that I shall meet my fate somewhere among the clouds above; those that I fight I do not hate, those that I guard I do not love."

"
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; mere anarchy is loosed upon the world, the blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned; the best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity."

"
The worst thing about some men is that when they are not drunk they are sober."

"
Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people."

A short biography revealed one interesting tidbit....Yeats proposed five times to Maud Gonne and was rejected each time, after which he asked and was rejected by her daughter!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Very interesting.. I added some to my quote notebook