Sunday, December 19, 2004

Make My Motive

I've spent a lot of hours studying through the book of Job. This song is a simple re-telling of the early parts of Job's encounter with pain. The story of Job asks the sharp question, 'What is your motive for worship.' Is my motive based on something that could change, or based on a changless God?

verse 1
One day satan
Came up from the ground
From lying and tempting
And spreading sin around
The Lord asked Satan
Can my servant you hound
More blameless and upright
A man can’t be found

chorus
Make my motive
Lord to please you
For why I act will
Become what I do
Be my motive
Let it be true
That all I do Lord
I do it for you

verse 2
God had finished
So satan replied
You’ve given him treasure
What if his family were to die
And what if his wealth
Would no longer abide
Take it away from him
We’ll see what’s inside

verse 3
So all job had was
Taken that day
As soon as he found out
In worship he fell on his face
The lord had given
Now taketh away
The name of the Lord
May it be praised

verse 4
Satan came back
To try it again
Sure job succeeded
If you take his health I’ll win
So God permitted
And satan did send
A horrible affliction
Of sores on Job’s skin

verse 5
Job had his struggles
As we do sometimes
Our lives seem hopeless
We find no reason or ryhme
But trust in God’s hand
He alone is wise
And we’ll be righteous
Before God’s eyes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know, in the couple of years i've known you, i've never quite understood why you keep sleep charts. is it just to prove something to yourself, or are you trying to change some habits? just curious, that's all.

matthew said...

you know, in the couple of years i've known you, i've never quite understood why you keep sleep charts. is it just to prove something to yourself, or are you trying to change some habits? just curious, that's all.

Yeah, I need a purpose statement or something. I keep them for a few reasons:

1. I'm addicted to statistics
2. I'd like to change my sleeping patterns, and so it's necessary to discover what that pattern is/isn't.
3. Documentation is accountability...to myself and anyone who reads it. I'm actually embarrassed and frustrated to post these charts.

My goal is to sleep from about 1-8:30