Saturday, October 30, 2004

5 Shows That Ended Too Soon

My taste in TV shows must be relatively unique because I quite often find my favorite new shows being cancelled after 1 or 2 seasons. Below is a list of 5 such shows in alphabetical order:


1. Andy Richter Controls the Universe- If you're a Conan O'Brien fan then you may remember he once had a side-kick, namely Andy Richter. Andy left the show a while back to pursue his acting career. He has since been in crappy movies like Scary Movie 2, My Boss's Daughter, and then was out-acted by the Olsen twins in New York Minute. Scary Resume. BUT....In my opinion Richter hit a homerun with the TV show baring his name. The show is about Andy's life as an employee to a huge company, his relationships with his fellow employees, and his creative imagination. There were only 14 episodes aired before cancellation in January of 2003. I have been watching them re-run on Comedy Central (which, btw, advertised the airing of a never before seen Andy Richter this Monday).

2. Boston Common- I think one of the better casted shows I've seen was Boston Common. Every character had a distinct personality that added to the show's watchability. The show is about a brother (Boyd) who instead of simply dropping his kid-sister (Wyleen) off at college in Boston ends up getting a job as a handy-man for the school. Boyd quickly falls in love with Joy, a mature student who is dating a snobby teacher. So basically you get 32 episodes of Boyd wooing this girl, Wyleen struggling to adjust, Joy being confused, the snobby teacher being snobby, etc. Good cast, good comedy, bad decision to cancel it after only 2 seasons in the mid-90's.

3. Ned and Stacey- From September 1995 to January 1997 there was a very funny show called Ned and Stacey. Ok, the premise was a little strange...a guy and gal who hate eachother get married b/c it helps their current life scenario. The marriage is just for show (to her parents and his boss). Obviously, most of the humor is built around that situation, but the show is funny to me b/c the two lead characters are excellent, especially Ned. I hated him in the show Wings, but he's very funny in this one. Stacey (Grace from Will and Grace) is also very good. It was cancelled, wrongfully, after 35 episodes.

4. Sport Night- Ok, many of you know I'm a huge sports fan. In fact, one of my favorite shows is SportsCenter (a daily 1 hour show re-capping all the latest sports scores and headlines). Well, Sports Night was a show about the crew of a show like that. Instead of spending an hour watching their show, viewers spent half an hour watching the behind the scenes lives of the shows employees. It aired for 2 full seasons (45 episodes). I guess it was the combination of sports, comedy, and a well written script that kept my attention.

5. Working- Do you like the kid from The Wonder Years? Well, he grew up and had another good show called Working. He plays an idealistic college grad who just got his first job at a big company. Only 35 episodes aired from 97-99. This is your classic office comedy where every employee is up to their own hijinks. This show was kinda goofy and somewhat similar to Andy Richter Controls the Universe. I wish some station would show the re-runs.

Okay, so everybody that reads this blog...send emails to cable stations asking them to pick these shows back up. I'm not gonna send any emails, but I'd appreciate it if you all did!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i loved ned and stacey!

-Cass

matthew said...

Yeah, I feel bad for liking it b/c now I see it on women's channels sometimes. Oh well.

Terry said...

Wait...isn't the show Sport's Night actually spelled Sports Nite?