Friday, October 03, 2014

Modern Sitcom Top Ten

It's time to update my modern sitcom top 10 list. The criteria here is that the show has to be a half-hour situational comedy no older than Cheers. This was a hard list to make and many quality shows had to be left out. I originally made this list in 2012, so this is just an update.


Changes:
1. Arrested Development passes Coupling into 4th place
2. How I Met Your Mother jumps from 10th to 7th
3. Parks & Rec jumps Friends, but stays in 8th

10. 30Rock
I liked this show quite a bit, but I don't think it'll last forever on this list. It's barely on the list now as I debate shows like Scrubs and NewsRadio. Even still, Tracy Morgan's character is really funny in this, to me, for some reason.

9. Friends
Friends drops 2 spots in this most recent update. I know a lot of people love it and it was certainly one of my favorite shows for a couple of years. It had a good run and plenty of funny lines, a decent storyline, and a good cast. It is possible, I suppose, that a fresh viewing could secure its spot in the top 10 forever.

8. Parks and Rec. still has the potential to move up a little bit on this list. I think the Andy character is hilarious. Of course, if the show gets lame it could lose a couple spots and be left off the list. Along with Arrested Development, it is the only current show currently on my list.

7. How I Met Your Mother
On my previous list, I had this show at #10. I was only in the midst of watching the 2nd season. After finishing the show, I have moved it to #7 overall. I really enjoyed the characters and the running jokes. Somehow they were able to make the storyline last for a decade.

6. Cheers
Like Friends, Cheers makes number 6 largely out of respect. Yes, it's a great show, but I also value the role that it played in changing television. I think Cheers really prompted a new era of sitcom. The cast on this show was great. Few shows can change leading ladies and survive. They also switched bartenders pretty successfully. I liked the squabbles with Gary's Old Town Tavern a lot.

5. Coupling
This is a BBC show. It's like Friends in a lot of ways, but more obsessed with sexual humor. I just found it so well written and cast. It'll be hard for any current shows to reach this level in my book, so Coupling's spot in my top 10 is pretty safe for a while I think.

4. Arrested Development
This is a very different kind of show, but in a good way. I don't think nearly as many people have seen this show than the others on the list. It has a lot of re-watch-ability in my opinion b/c of the fast paced humor. Netflix brought this show back in an interesting and impressive way, pushing it to the 4th spot... but it'll be next to impossible to climb higher.

3. Frasier
Frasier is not so much laugh out loud funny as it is just downright clever. Well crafted, I cared about the characters in Frasier more than those of any other show on this list. It wasn't just a comedy; it actually said something about life sometimes. But that's not to take away from how funny it was.

2. The Office
The Office (US version) was well on its way to claiming the top spot, but then it faded pretty fast and has only sometimes recovered with a good episode here or there. The first 3 or 4 seasons were pure comedy gold. Almost every episode was classic and quotable. Later episodes were hit or miss. The final season, in my opinion, saw the show regain its footing to secure 2nd place.

1. Seinfeld
Seinfeld wins the top spot. Jerry, George, Elaine, Kramer and friends took a little while to develop great chemistry, but then kept it for season after season. It really was a show about nothing, but at the same time it was about people interacting with all their idiosyncrasies. The last season wasn't the best, but it wasn't the worst either. This show contained too many great quotes and moments not to be first.

No comments: