Saturday, January 16, 2010

Apology 2 (Baldwin)

You may have heard about the irate message that Alec Baldwin left on his 11 year old daughter's cell phone back in 2007. If not, all you need to know is that he called her a thoughtless little pig and seemed to threaten her. Somehow, the recording found its way to the internet and Baldwin attempted an apology:

...............
"Thank you to everyone who has posted messages of support and understanding. Naturally, it is not best for a parent to lose their temper with their child. Everyone who knows me privately knows that I have endured a great deal over the last several years in my custody litigation. Everyone who knows me privately knows that certain people will go to any lengths to embarrass me and to disrupt my relationship with my daughter. In such public cases, your opponents attempt to take a picture of you on your worst day and insist that this is who you are as a person. Outside the doors of divorce court, I have friends, I have respect from people I work with and I have a normal relationship with my daughter. All of that is threatened whenever one enters a court room.

Although I have been told by numerous people not to worry too much, as all parents lose their patience with their kids, I am most saddened that this was released to the media because of what it does to a child. I'm sorry, as everyone who knows me is aware, for losing my temper with my child. I have been driven to the edge by parental alienation for many years now. You have to go through this to understand. ( Although I hope you never do.) I am sorry for what happened. But I am equally sorry that a court order was violated, which had deliberately been put under seal in this case. Once my book is published, I'm sure more people will understand the incredible strains created by parental alienation. In the meantime, I'm sorry to anyone who's taken offense from this episode."
..............

The Good
-He at least admits something happened

The Bad
- Uses bland wording like 'not best'
- Views himself as the offended party
- Casts the blame on others
- Considers his actions normal
- Admits he's mostly sad he got caught
- Thinks more info would explain his actions
- Uses opportunity to advertise new book
- 'Sorry to anyone who's taken offense' (their fault)

The Questionable
- Nothing questionable here

This is one of the worst apologies I've ever encountered. Only those 2 green lines even show that this is supposed to be an apology. Almost everything else Baldwin said was self-serving. I give him a grade of F.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I had heard a bit of the tape but never the "apology" can we even call it that? I also give this an F

Jecca said...

i concur!